The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Smartphone / iPad users: access the forum with Tapatalk, free!    Info here

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: closings...and openings  (Read 31245 times)

RO retailer

Re: closings...and openings
« Reply #270 on: April 27, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »

my, the city attorney is very busy and it still keeps coming!

buzzsaw

« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »

RO retailer

« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »

Another noodle store and another pizza!  How unusual.  I will stay with Peking and, dang it, pizza has cheese, not on my allowable menu.  C'est La Vie

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »

Hey Retailer, if Beaumontland is successful, perhaps the new Master Plan will call for allowing developers to dig into neighborhoods on Woodward Avenue to increase parking and building size. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

RO retailer

« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2018, 08:11:13 PM »

oh yea!  It is kinda happening now. Investors are buying up these small buildings without doing their due dillagance. Come to ZBA for parking variances and the residents say no but they feel "sorry" for the investors and grant. Attitude is the residents were dumb to buy where they did. Kinda like you. Idiots!

MalcoveMagnesia

« Reply #275 on: July 09, 2018, 05:22:14 AM »

I think Andiamo's closing was rumored for a long time (e.g. the lease wasn't renewed, the trashing of the immediate parking nearby, etc)

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/andiamos-royal-oak-closes-after-nearly-20-years

There's also a few posts on the RORO facebook group passing the blame around (e.g.  the mayor stated that this may be Don Nahat's fault, or perhaps the food was subpar and not worth walking an extra couple blocks from the various parking structures?)

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #276 on: July 09, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »

I don't think the Andiamo's space is Nahat owned.  Not 100% sure, but Retailer can confirm. 

The Mayor's words are incredibly smug and arrogant.  It sends a strong message to anyone doing or wanting to do business here.  Don't.

Thank you Mr. Vicari for investing in Royal Oak for 19 years. 

The Capitalist

« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2018, 07:12:00 AM »

Wow, what an ass. Perhaps our mayor can try to have a bit of class when a retailer leaves the city. From the Detroit News:

Owner Joe Vicari cites lack of parking and lease issues as the reasons for the closure, adding "our hand was forced." But Royal Oak Mayor Michael Fournier shot back in an email Sunday and said Andiamo's closing had "nothing to do with parking and landlords, but perhaps everything to do with the product."

"I wish Mr. Vicari the best of luck and hopefully he can find a outer-suburban strip mall with an oasis of parking that suits his business model better," Fournier wrote.

First quote denies parking has anything to do with the closure, second quote concedes parking was a factor. Which is it, mayor?

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ClDJESpZYg&feature=share

Wait...what?  There is no parking problem in Royal Oak.  Its just a signage problem. 

Interesting news tidbit here -  so quick one might miss it.  Beginning this week the DDA will begin subsidizing Lyft rides starting this Thursday. 

Everyone stay calm.  All is well in paradise.

RO retailer

« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2018, 10:56:00 AM »

Gladdy,  the building Andiamo's was in has had the same owner for many years.  His name slips me, but its the building manager that most tenants deal with.  His name is Bob Sheldon.  He manages several properties downtown and also on Woodward.  And the more he can get for renting a building or space the more lucrative is his percentage of the monthly rent. 

I think the biggest slap in the face of the downtown customers is doubling the parking fees and finds at the same time these projects are in their first phase of building.  We got 2 to 3 years of construction depending on the weather.  Ah, Michigan winters! 

Closing Andiamo's now is a good business decision.  It stops the drain!  Vicari said on the radio this morning that ALL 55 of the employes have jobs at other buildings and the Fenton one will open sometime this summer.  He also said that three other places in Royal Oak are checking out too. 

Hearing tidbits all the time.  Rock on 3 lost about 20% the first 2 weekends of the first parking lot closure.  Bottom line on the spread sheet rules! 

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #280 on: July 09, 2018, 05:23:32 PM »

I like how Ch 7 (and maybe other stations) have got PR people shouting at each other on their newscasts.  More, please, until somebody in the administration pays attention.

MalcoveMagnesia

« Reply #281 on: July 10, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »

The mayor is especially classing things up in the comments section of this Freep story:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2018/07/09/royal-oak-mayor-andiamo-closing/768063002/

If you scroll down far enough, you'll see he Godwins the thread by talking about "morons who voted for Trump". 

ROwatcher

« Reply #282 on: July 10, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »

The mayor is especially classing things up in the comments section of this Freep story:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2018/07/09/royal-oak-mayor-andiamo-closing/768063002/

If you scroll down far enough, you'll see he Godwins the thread by talking about "morons who voted for Trump".

If you actually read the comments you realize that the Michael Fournier is not in fact the mayor.  This persons profile is not the same as the mayors, and if it we're the mayor they would be speaking in 3rd person.   But that wouldn't play into the narrative that many want to see, would it?

It's amazing how much actual fake news is out there on this one!

The Capitalist

« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2018, 07:14:24 AM »

Sometimes there is a little truth behind the fake news. Case in point, city is making a big deal about the fake news that Diablo's and Red Fox is closing because of parking. However, in this article the owner Kramer does state that "business at his two downtown restaurants declined about 40 percent after the parking lot behind his property was closed for construction" and he "plans to bring a new concept to the Cantina Diablo".

So while the restaurants are not announcing closures, everything is clearly not sparkly in paradise at that corner.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bureaucrats, like mobs, don’t respond to reason.
« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2018, 08:21:46 AM »

That serial poster on the newspaper articles is not the mayor.

The mayor did enough damage to his, and our, reputation with his asinine retort to Vicari.

Sometimes I wish the government would just ban itself. Wrap your heads around that, fellas.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up