The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Down

Author Topic: Commission musings  (Read 45687 times)

Cmh231

Re: Commission musings
« Reply #375 on: February 19, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »

Been a while since the musings thread was active.  Last nights public comment was quite contentious.  Seems DuBluster can just speak back to residents and call them liars and none of the others get the same input courtesy unless they demand equality.  "What's up with that?"  The most effective words of the night.

Thank you Commissioner LeVasseur for once again standing up for residents.  While "we" the residents don't always have it right, to have a person's entire commentary dismissed (and publicly admonished) as lies (when a good portion was factual) its nice to have a champion to set the record straight.

What's up with that?  A big vote of confidence from the residents who care about what happens in our city.

Now you know how it feels. 
Lauren

RORooster

« Reply #376 on: February 19, 2019, 02:07:27 PM »

Been a while since the musings thread was active.  Last nights public comment was quite contentious.  Seems DuBluster can just speak back to residents and call them liars and none of the others get the same input courtesy unless they demand equality.  "What's up with that?"  The most effective words of the night.

Thank you Commissioner LeVasseur for once again standing up for residents.  While "we" the residents don't always have it right, to have a person's entire commentary dismissed (and publicly admonished) as lies (when a good portion was factual) its nice to have a champion to set the record straight.

What's up with that?  A big vote of confidence from the residents who care about what happens in our city.

Easy Glady's, she needs some meds.!

Rooster

Now you know how it feels.

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #377 on: March 23, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »

My musings:

Me: I decide to put my home on the market.  If I fail to get an offer close to my expectations, I will pull it off the market until the market improves

Royal Oak Commission:
Normandy Oaks - We'll take it and tell the residents - sorry. We can't build the park the way we led you to believe when we convinced you to vote for it, or
Boji Building -      We'll take it and tell the residents - sorry. We couldn't get anyone else to offer us a reasonable price for that parking lot so we will take the one offer for $1 AND give him a subsidy (identified as an investment by certain members of the city commission) of $5.5 million of your tax dollars so he can build a huge office building with 700 Monday-Friday employees, increase our tax base and bring double our subsidy back------oops medical building with 400 Monday-Saturday employees, where double the subsidy will go to the DDA and the State, and eventually be sold to an entity who will pay zero taxes. And, we don't care about the adjoining businesses and property owners, or
OCC -                 We'll take it even though it wasn't listed for sale where other developers could have possibly increased the sales price, and we don't care about the other businesses who use  that parking lot (deja vu), or

Coming soon -
Main & Catalpa -  We'll take it Mr. Developer who has contributed $$$$$$$$ to our campaigns, we want to see that corner developed, and we don't care about the other businesses adjoining that parking lot (deja vu) We'll let you have it, even though you will violate many of our standards, and it wasn't listed for other developers or the adjoining businesses and property owners.

It's OUR property and OUR money and should be treated as such, and I DO care about the adjoining businesses and property owners.
Too often noble goals serve as a Trojan Horse for political control.

RORooster

« Reply #378 on: March 23, 2019, 10:51:03 PM »

My musings:

Me: I decide to put my home on the market.  If I fail to get an offer close to my expectations, I will pull it off the market until the market improves

Royal Oak Commission:
Normandy Oaks - We'll take it and tell the residents - sorry. We can't build the park the way we led you to believe when we convinced you to vote for it, or
Boji Building -      We'll take it and tell the residents - sorry. We couldn't get anyone else to offer us a reasonable price for that parking lot so we will take the one offer for $1 AND give him a subsidy (identified as an investment by certain members of the city commission) of $5.5 million of your tax dollars so he can build a huge office building with 700 Monday-Friday employees, increase our tax base and bring double our subsidy back------oops medical building with 400 Monday-Saturday employees, where double the subsidy will go to the DDA and the State, and eventually be sold to an entity who will pay zero taxes. And, we don't care about the adjoining businesses and property owners, or
OCC -                 We'll take it even though it wasn't listed for sale where other developers could have possibly increased the sales price, and we don't care about the other businesses who use  that parking lot (deja vu), or

Coming soon -
Main & Catalpa -  We'll take it Mr. Developer who has contributed $$$$$$$$ to our campaigns, we want to see that corner developed, and we don't care about the other businesses adjoining that parking lot (deja vu) We'll let you have it, even though you will violate many of our standards, and it wasn't listed for other developers or the adjoining businesses and property owners.

It's OUR property and OUR money and should be treated as such, and I DO care about the adjoining businesses and property owners.

Spot on...wish I could have met you earlier!!!

Rooster

RO Fan

• Contributing Member
« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »

Are there further developments regarding the main/catalpa spot?  I thought Planning/Zoning said no to the proposed development plan (apartments / high density)?  Just curious if another attempt is underway to get approval.

RORooster

« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2019, 03:36:41 AM »

Are there further developments regarding the main/catalpa spot?  I thought Planning/Zoning said no to the proposed development plan (apartments / high density)?  Just curious if another attempt is underway to get approval.

Probably...on a need to know basis...Royal Oak SOP!!!

Rooster

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2019, 07:50:31 AM »

Coming to an agenda near you ...very soon.

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2019, 07:53:08 AM »

My musings:

Royal Oak Commission:

Coming soon -

Spot on...wish I could have met you earlier!!!

Rooster

And I wish I had met you earlier too.

resident

« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »

Wait and see.
Nobody will dispute that parcel needs SOMETHING.  Calling it an eyesore is opinion. It has not gotten any better over time.  No, it won't win any appearance awards.  The funds need to clean that property are bound to be very high.
It needs to be done. Remember,  you and i pay for it.
Placing anything there that substantially adds to traffic, or removes sight-line is just going add to the fun that already  is "malfunction junction" . 

For certain,  the favored son developer will jump thru one token hoop and get what he wants.
What bothers me as much if not more, is reports of the Mayor, former Mayor, and one more prominent individual paying visits to the gal who owns the Barber Shop. 
The gal ( her name escapes me as i type ) spoke very well at public comment ( as did others, see Jazzer-size)
Now , did they stop by to thank her for speaking ?  Perhaps get more perspective from her ?  Get a hair cut ?
Raise your hand if you think any of the above 3 took place.

Wait and see.  I predict a token improvement on the plan, with gushing from the committee on the amended plan .
A thin threat to pull the project if they do not get approved, and the committee buckling because of it.
The irony, of the individual who was turned down for a project at 13 and crooks, who wanted to supply ample parking on his dime.

Royal Oak, everyday, becomes more of a private little club. 
In my youth , we used to call them  " wide ties" or the " good old boys network" .
It still exists, they are just slicker at it now. It used to be done with handshakes and a plan. Sometimes the plans were even good. 
Now it's done by hosting fundraisers and putting your name on donated pianos.

I ,and i think most everybody, will be very happy to see something new at Main at Catalpa.
Before the property got " valuable "  it would have been fine as a retro fuel station and  auto service with a little sprucing up.
Well, maybe more that just a little. 
They did not do that at any level, and that ship has sailed.
Why bother ?  The sale of that parcel should leave them set for life.

Summery ?  We have reached the downside of over value,  as nothing will be built new unless it's over-sized like all the new builds we are getting.   The cost to profit is too hard to attain without doing so.
How long before the Post Office is under fire?.

MacApple

• Forum Founder
« Reply #384 on: March 26, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »

For certain,  the favored son developer will jump thru one token hoop and get what he wants.
What bothers me as much if not more, is reports of the Mayor, former Mayor, and one more prominent individual paying visits to the gal who owns the Barber Shop. 
The gal ( her name escapes me as i type ) spoke very well at public comment ( as did others, see Jazzer-size)
Now , did they stop by to thank her for speaking ?  Perhaps get more perspective from her ?  Get a hair cut ?
Raise your hand if you think any of the above 3 took place.

::Raises hand::

I didn't watch public comment but you're probably talking about Bonnie. Bonnie also cuts my hair and I was in the Optimists with her. I've also been in her shop when the current mayor was, in fact, getting a hair cut. I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate but Bonnie is good people, great people in fact.

resident

« Reply #385 on: March 26, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »

Mac,
       I think you mis-read, or i miss lead you somehow.
I was only offering praise of Ms " Bonnie" .  But thanks for raising your hand.

Nothing more , nothing less of her, her shop, and her speech.

The insinuation was " not the first time" i have been made aware of strong arm, or at least an attempt to sway.
Attempt to sway is fine, it is a by product of reaching out and communicating.

Glad to hear the Mayor get's his hair cut in town.
Small business Saturday should be every day and chance we get, not one day in November.

I was moved by her enough, that i plan to get my hair cut there as well.  Maybe i can get a seat next to his Honor !   

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:25:55 PM by resident »

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #386 on: June 12, 2019, 08:07:52 AM »

Apparently Warren's city charter must be followed per a ruling by the State Supreme Court. https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/macomb/2019/06/11/warren-city-council-election-ballot/1420780001/

HarveyTheCat

« Reply #387 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »

Hmmmm bond limits are 5% in RO Charter.   We are at 8% currently.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Up