The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Smartphone / iPad users: access the forum with Tapatalk, free!    Info here

Author Topic: School tax mileage  (Read 1569 times)

rottoncotton6166

School tax mileage
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:38:29 PM »

Anyone catch the story on "updating" the mileage this fall for Royal Oak schools? It infuriating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzBuzz

Re: School tax mileage
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »

The claim is that it won't cost us anything extra.

http://www.dailytribune.com/general-news/20170511/royal-oak-schools-to-seek-599m-bond-approval-this-year

What they are actually doing is replacing one millage (expiring) with another (new) to (among other things)

• Constructing additions and remodeling buildings.

• Improving and developing sites such as parking areas, playgrounds, outdoor athletic fields and other facilities.

• Furnishing, refurnishing, equipping and reequipping buildings.

Why did they do wrong when when we voted for the original millage?
Will this $59 million be used for anything more long-lasting?

Jayb

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:18:36 PM »

Hmmm...Royal Oak has been and continues to lose school age kids, but we need to continually fund special millages. How could that be? Why wouldn't we be reducing the amounts spent? Because the schools are run for the interests of teachers unions and school administrators. Little to nothing has been written in local media about Royal Oaks decision to  expand schools of choice enrollment to unlimited

http://www.royaloakschools.org/district/enrollment/schools-of-choice/

Was there some groundswell of Royal Oak support for SOC? No. This is a power play by the school board and public employees to make certain that their budgets continue to grow despite a declining base of kids from Royal Oak. It worked great for East Detroit, Ferndale and Warren, right? Keep voting for libs Royal Oak.

resident

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »

A double edged sword here.
If we do not give them the money , will they start selling off land to garner funds ?
Upton is a large parcel.  If they were to sell it, our neighborhood is even more screwed .
I would have to look to see how much property the schools own to judge any further.   

RO retailer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:05:25 PM »

I got into a Facebook conversation regarding this subject.  I must say I have not really kept up with the school issues since the late 80s.  And I am not in tune with this school of choice stuff.  From what I understand the high school and middle school are fine and not overcrowded, but of the e-lems some are full and some are not.  Some people want more school buildings.  It sounds like its the population of the buildings should be restructured first.  Than if the growth continues, add on to existing buildings.  Both Addams and Upton have a generous expanse of empty land.  And the Grant Park on 4th street is 50% school owned and 50% city owned. 
Do I think the kiddos population will grow to the numbers of the 50s, 60s, 70s?  Doubt it, but I may be wrong.  I look around my neighborhood and the families with children maxes at three and several do not use public schools.
I certainly hope the system doesn't sell off anymore property.  I always thought that Longfellow on 11 Mile would have made a perfect city hall and the building could have been repurposed.     

RORooster

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »

To those who asked about the school district announcement regarding a possible bonding.  Would suggest you scan the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report dated June 30, 2016, specifically Statement of Net Position 4-2.
Nonconcurrent liabilities:
     Net Pension Liability                               $ 76,622,770
     Due Within one year                                   7,526,928
     Due in more than one year                       30,953,529
     Presented Bond request                            59,900,000    (Should be labeled $59.9 million additional debt request!!!!!)

I'm sorry folks but what part of pension liabilities and paying off expiring mileages aren't you familiar with. Look back at Mr. Johnsons verbage, won't cost you anything and used for capital projects. This is straight out of the GASB playbook.
I, also, wonder about the thinking of the Royal Oak School Board and our lansing elected officials about the State of Michigan Teachers unfunded liability of $ 26.6 Billion dollars. Maybe somebody can go have a beer with "Jimbo" and see if he can solve this like he did in Royal Oak as the mayor. Let's see what the 5th Avenue consortium has to say about that!!!   

Earth to Royal Oak...Wake up!

Rooster

resident

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »

Rooster,
 I have no idea who you are.  If you have served on cit com before, thanks.
If not, please consider running.  ( provided you have time to give or are interested )
Your abilities and knowledge would be of great benefit to the city. 

RORooster

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »

Rooster,
 I have no idea who you are.  If you have served on cit com before, thanks.
If not, please consider running.  ( provided you have time to give or are interested )
Your abilities and knowledge would be of great benefit to the city.

Thanks, Resident, not in the cards.

R

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »

I'm waiting to see exactly what the millage will be for.  Technically this is a new millage, with a new set of goals, so the old "it's just a renewal" does not apply.

RO retailer

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »

Resident, Rooster was a looooooooooong time Royal Oaker, graduated from THE Royal Oak High School and lived here for many years and was one of my neighbors.  He and his wife moved to Georgia 3 years ago (he will correct me if I am wrong) to be close to his 2 granddaughters.  He and my husband are buddies and converse, mostly about Royal Oak, regularly.  A financial brain much needed here.  Miss both of them.

resident

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »

Thanks Retailer,  Rooster good for you.   Sad , that the person perhaps keeping the best tabs on city money is not even living within the state, let alone the city. We need to find a finance pit bull that is local, and willing to serve.
God forbid Rooster gives up or stops giving a damn.       

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »

Resident, I am going to echo Retailer. Rooster was/is the most knowledgeable person regarding RO finances. Hands down. And a great guy (didn't know his wife). Sorely missed.

I used his advice to help guide me as a CC, others whipped out garlic and crucifixes as he approached the podium. Thus the mounting issues that RO faces.

rottoncotton6166

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 11:31:41 PM »

Thank you rooster to answering my initial post. You always come threw

RORooster

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 06:17:45 PM »

Anyone catch the story on "updating" the mileage this fall for Royal Oak schools? It infuriating

What took you so long...? There are other problems bigger than Boji. This is why you let Johnson off the hook!

R

rottoncotton6166

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 09:36:13 PM »

What took you so long...? There are other problems bigger than Boji. This is why you let Johnson off the hook!

R
I didn't let Johnson of the hook for nothing! Guy is creepy