The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Smartphone / iPad users: access the forum with Tapatalk, free!    Info here

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: City Center - Is it really worth it?  (Read 20166 times)

RO retailer

Re: City Center - Is it really worth it?
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2018, 11:51:56 AM »

Rusty, that brown stuff you mentioned has grown to a 20 lb bag.  There is more to life than downtown.  We are taking a year at a time as residents.   

The Capitalist

« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »

As long as the design includes 3 regulation soccer fields, a splash pad, accessible playground structure, restrooms, ice rink, wifi, hardscape walking paths, natural walking paths, community pool, 2 pickleball courts, fenced dog run, shipping containers, ATM, bocce courts, recreation equipment checkout stand, benches, informational kiosks, baseball diamond, concession stand, music pavilion/band shell, bicycle parking, public art display areas, lazy river, ron wolf podium, food truck parking, sand volleyball court, shuffleboard, chess tables, bbq grills, picnic pavilions, bioswales, LED lighting and a sledding hill, then I think it will be alright.

Anything less than the above will be considered a complete failure on the part of our elected officials.

resident

« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »

Thanks Capitalist,   I so enjoy my favorite beverage exiting my nose.

All that, we are going to need a lot more way-finding signs. 

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #258 on: September 01, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »

As long as the design includes 3 regulation soccer fields, a splash pad, accessible playground structure, restrooms, ice rink, wifi, hardscape walking paths, natural walking paths, community pool, 2 pickleball courts, fenced dog run, shipping containers, ATM, bocce courts, recreation equipment checkout stand, benches, informational kiosks, baseball diamond, concession stand, music pavilion/band shell, bicycle parking, public art display areas, lazy river, ron wolf podium, food truck parking, sand volleyball court, shuffleboard, chess tables, bbq grills, picnic pavilions, bioswales, LED lighting and a sledding hill, then I think it will be alright.

Anything less than the above will be considered a complete failure on the part of our elected officials.

That sounds like a great park Cap.  May I propose a name?  I like the sounds of Utopia Park.  Captures the essence of the new Royal Oak.

RO retailer

« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »

Cap, I can't top your list of must haves, but I do have one question.  Where are the bums going to put up their sleeping boxes? 

I understand the "dreamers" have a table set up at abe and doing surveys as to what the "public" want in the park. 

Guys, you can't write this stuff!

mikeslife

« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »

Why not build the City Hall on one of our many underutilized parks?

RO retailer

« Reply #261 on: September 10, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »

I always thought that the Longfellow School building would have made a perfect city hall.  Beautiful classic building with plenty of storage area and a gym area that could have been made into a more than adequate commission chamber. 

RO Fan

• Contributing Member
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »

City Hall should be in a strip mall somewhere North of 13 mile....I've lived in this city for 20 years (property owner) and have been in city hall once.   I just don't see the need for a new building on property that is extremely valuable for this purpose.  With today's technology, the need for a facility like this seems like  a waste. 

RO retailer

« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2018, 03:26:21 PM »

I have asked several times, "....why city hall downtown?".  Never had an answer.  Leads me to believe that no body really cares where it is.  Should have been built at 696 and Woodward.

RO retailer

« Reply #264 on: September 16, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

GOSSIP ALERT!  Things are changing in the "grand development".  Should know more this coming week. 

RO retailer

« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »

Rumor Update!

1.  Looks like Boji project was or is changing hands.  It looks like Henry Ford Hospital is taking over. 

2.  The Boji project construction manager has left the room.

3.  New contracts were signed last Tuesday.  Agreements and Terms unknown at this time. 

4.  2018 loser of the year?  Guess! 

5.  Hospitals do NOT pay property taxes!  You do know that the city was counting on those taxes to pay the bonds for the new city hall and police building.  OOPS!

Downtown Park?  ROTFLMAO!

HarveyTheCat

• Contributing Member
« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »

Rumor Update!

1.  Looks like Boji project was or is changing hands.  It looks like Henry Ford Hospital is taking over. 

2.  The Boji project construction manager has left the room.

3.  New contracts were signed last Tuesday.  Agreements and Terms unknown at this time. 

4.  2018 loser of the year?  Guess! 

5.  Hospitals do NOT pay property taxes!  You do know that the city was counting on those taxes to pay the bonds for the new city hall and police building.  OOPS!

Downtown Park?  ROTFLMAO!

It’s a lease.  The landlord will be paying property taxes until HFHS purchases the property.   It’s a long term lease.  I’ll probably be dead by the time it has to be renewed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »

Harvey, you seem to be in the know.

Why is the city holding off on announcing this fabulous news?  Now that word has leaked, I would think they would be on it chop chop to stifle the rumors.

HarveyTheCat

• Contributing Member
« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2018, 06:54:28 PM »

The City and Boji announced there would be a press release last week.   I’ve not yet seen it.  I expected it last Friday.   

The Jeopardy song is playing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »

More interesting is the contract with the Boji company.  They had a reciprocal agreement with the city for the parking deck, so didn't they have something similar for their building in case of a sale?  I seem to remember that from the Plante Moran attorney and the city's.

Yes, I too am awaiting the Commission presentation.  And Levasseur's focusing in on  anything they try to hide.

Speaking of presentations, my church paper (St. Mary) mentions that their beer tent at AB&E sold 30% less this year, and speculated that attendance would be down that much.  Another source confirmed this and said this included parking (the prime source of city payback).  No profit this year, even if the DDA will eat losses.

I wonder if Witz will make his yearly plea for an extension, especially since Burton-Katzan has yet to beg out of his main stage parking lot (to be found in the Downtown Park, soon to be known as Jim Ellison Acre(s).  They have already held meetings.  Wish they were televised.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Up