The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Author Topic: ROGO = NOGO or YESGO?  (Read 3847 times)

RO retailer

Re: ROGO = NOGO or YESGO?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »

What Royal Oak needs is an UBER type service for the seniors and handicap.  Door to door.  Beaumont has what I call a "half a service".  They will come to the house to pick up a person and take them to the hospital for appointments, treatments, etc., BUT not return them to the house.  Duh!!!

And how many school age kids would be riding the bus?  Would this service be only for Royal Oak kids only?  And what about the summer? 

There is no way, at this point would I vote for local bus service.

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »

I hate to harp on the issue, but this is all part of the New Urbanism.http://www.newurbanism.org/newurbanism/principles.html..eliminate the evil cars that cause climate change. Walk - it's good for you. We're proviiding transit so families can return to owning one car (Donigan said she would love to give up her older car.) Bike lanes. Reduced parking in the downtown via the sale of city owned property and construction of high density offices and housing. Increase the cost of parking to discourage the use of cars. Just part of the principles of New Urbanism. Once implemented the 10 principles will result in a "high quality of life well worth living, and create places that enrich, uplift, and inspire the human spirit."  I'm sure glad Big Brother knows what we need. (See my quote below) The UAW and other unions generally support Democrats.  I wonder if they realized what they were supporting in Royal Oak. As Gladys said...they may want their money back.

Any old timers know why Martin Lines went out of business and whether they offered more routes than we have today, not counting school bus service?
Too often noble goals serve as a Trojan Horse for political control.

RO retailer

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »

Imiss..... harp all you want!  There are many words I dislike and rarely use and "urbanism" is now at the top of the list.  I see it as Big Brother!  Or in Royal Oak's case, Big Sister.  Sharlan Douglas.

If she had her way all parking will be limited to lots along the Royal Oak borders and visitors be bussed in and out.  Larger houses will be divided up into apartment rooms (Dr. Zhivago).  Probably exaggeration?  Hey!

I asked the codger I live with because he grew up here about the Martin Line.  Easy answer is, ran out of money.  And the busses ran pass 8 Mile and there was a commuter train that ran between Pontiac and Detroit.  Also, the schools had their own busses.

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »

I rode the Martin Bus Line to high school in Detroit.  It passed half a block from my house. 

The Capitalist

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »

Interesting article Cap.  Sounds like someone finally realized buses drive around all day mostly empty and there are more cost efficient options.

So for a city subsidy of $322,500 a city of over 365,000 people can have commuter service.  Now we're talking.

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »

Bus-ted. Not supporting it, useless for senior grocery shopping.

RORooster

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 09:15:17 PM »

Seems this transit topic will be around for a while – task force and all.  Maybe it deserves to have its own thread.

With the introduction at last nights meeting, one word kept reoccurring – stakeholders.

Exactly who are the referenced stakeholders? 

While it all sounds grand, the price tag looks to be $2 – 3 million depending on level of service.  If the “stakeholders” and system users are footing the bill, then count me in.  If taxpayers will be asked to subsidize the plan, then there will be a battle.

Referenced during the long speech was the possibility for students to ride the bus to school.  I think that’s fantastic.  However, neither the $2 million or $3 million dollar plans would be able to cover the early morning hours needed by students to get to school.  Is there now going to be a $4 or $5 million dollar plan to cover 18 hour a day service?   

Same with the referenced Starbucks employee that takes a cab to work.  Thinking if she has to be at work at 5am, a ROGO transit system would not be of use.  Perhaps we need 24 hour a day service so those in the bar industry can benefit from using the service too?

More so with referenced seniors.  This will not be door to door service as is the current senior transport system.  Senior mobility limitations typically do not lend to a quarter mile walk to wait at a bus stop.

Unicorns and rainbows – wouldn’t life be grand if we had this?   Will be watching to see the task force form and what direction it heads.  I see many potential benefits – I really do.  But I also see enormous costs for those potential benefits.

https://www.romi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/19136

Gladys,

Do a little work on City of Atlanta, GA city transport system check Atlanta Journal Constitution. Has the ex-state Rep and city commissioner's finger prints all over it.

Rooster

HelloWorld

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »

So did any of you attend the open house last weekend? What were your thoughts? Thanks!

RO retailer

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 08:43:15 AM »

Too busy. And not interested. Royal oak is too small for 2 bus lines.

RO retailer

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »

I should never strain my memory early in the morning!  It dawned to me this morning that we already have a bus route thru the downtown.  At 696 and the Zoo and Woodward the Smart bus veers off Woodward and comes into the downtown on Washington.  At Sixth St. it turns left (west) and goes to Lafayette and right to the bus station.  The bus stops at 2 locations, one is right in front of the door of Sixth Salon on the corner of Sixth and Washington and the second one is at the bus station, just south of McDonalds on 11 Mile.

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »

The time for ROGO or NOGO is upon us.  I find it interesting that as the task force whittled down to the finer details that the transparency became reduced or non existent.  No WROK coverage of the final 2 meetings.  No available handouts or documents pertaining to this week's meeting. 

The most recent available document is a draft of the recommendation to city commission that was from 2 meetings ago.  It is very vague (could's and should's) and seems to leave most the details to be the burden of city staff. 

A new position will be created to be "the face of ROGO".  Lets guess who is positioning themselves for that well paid city job.   

This will be on Monday nights agenda.  Pay very close attention as the diminished transparency speaks volumes.

resident

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »

Hard to decide what i like the least.  No millage end out it if it ends service ahead of time ?  General fund !

Are we adding bus kiosks ?  Are we just allocating property use from homeowner easements ? 
Who is going to clean and maintain those stops ?  2 guesses.

The Senior Center is down 2 buses.

The Benefactors  .  Does Beaumont end it's support of the Seniors buses should RoGo pass ?
The stakeholders are you and me. 

We have promotions already starting ( freep etc ) yet very little support information.
Kind of reminds me of " you have to approve it, before you get to see what is in it "

RO retailer

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »

transit has absolutely nothing new in the play book. Same ads and same players.  And same script.

resident

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up