The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Smartphone / iPad users: access the forum with Tapatalk, free!    Info here

Author Topic: The bar and restaurant capitol of Oakland Cty?  (Read 978 times)

RO retailer

The bar and restaurant capitol of Oakland Cty?
« on: December 27, 2017, 01:58:52 PM »

Downtown Royal Oak has been the go to place for eating and drinking out in the past few years.  But methinks this is about to change with all these office bldgs. 

A comment was made by a commissioner on the Planning Commission in regard to the Boji project that these new 700 workers would greatly increase the daytime lunchers in the eateries downtown.  She thought it a significant reason to support this overblown project.  I read an article in the Wall Street Journal today that may seriously dispute her conclusion.  The article is titled, "Going Out for Lunch is a Dying Tradition.".  It continues saying workers are making up to 400+ million fewer trips to restaurants at lunchtime.  And it is a loss of business to the tune of $3.2 BILLION to eateries.  Now, that is a chunk of change! 

More and more restaurants downtown do not open for lunch anymore. 

Ray364

Re: The bar and restaurant capitol of Oakland Cty?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »

I work in an office in Troy and few, if any, of my coworkers go out to lunch.  Most bring their food from home. Being that I only live a few miles from the office, I go home for lunch, which also gives me a chance to walk my dog or do a minor task while there. 

RO retailer

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »

Ray, the article mentioned the same thing, about going home for lunch and letting out the doggies. 

Also, many big offices are adding lunch rooms with vending.  Royal Oak wants to build lots of apartments around the downtown so employees can walk to work.  That will certainly not improve the situation for the restaurants either.

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »

Ray, the article mentioned the same thing, about going home for lunch and letting out the doggies. 

Royal Oak wants to build lots of apartments around the downtown so employees can walk to work.  That will certainly not improve the situation for the restaurants either.

Bike lanes when the conditions allow. The new RoGo during Michigan winters. A lose/lose/lose situation. We pay $5.5 mil for the office building, millions in new bonds and millage for transit and they go home for lunch. Now THAT'S planning. :'(
Too often noble goals serve as a Trojan Horse for political control.

The Capitalist

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 08:16:14 AM »

Full disclosure: I am not a strong proponent or opponent of the new office buildings.

However, if you think that "boosting daytime lunch business" was a major deciding factor for these projects, that is silly. Yes, I know that has been one of the benefits touted.

Who here spends more in local businesses and restaurants since you moved or started working here? Not every single day, but in general. If you can say you don't then you are in the tiny minority.

A true story: I know someone whose company located in RO. And now a couple years later he has just bought in RO because it has the social scene he wants and is close enough to everything where he can walk or bike more than drive his car. Because of demand he paid over asking price for the house.

^^^ That kind of story isn't going to happen instantly on a mass scale every time a new office opens, but it IS happening. And if you own property here it means values increase, neighbors will be investing in their homes, neighborhoods will be improving, etc.  "A rising tide lifts all boats"

buzzsaw

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »

When I first graduated from college and married - this was the EXACT reason.

RO retailer

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »

buzzsaw, is it still the main reason?

buzzsaw

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 08:03:33 PM »

I cant say it is now .... I spend more time in Clawson, Troy and Birmingham now. 

RO retailer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »

Capitalist:  does this hipster person have a family?  And as he or she gets older will the downtown still have the same attraction?  If not married, will the attraction still be?  Hard day at work = quiet evening at home? 

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »

Another thread talk about the Taco Bell Tippler, and now the city doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

As the agenda says
"Royal Oak’s City Commission is supposed to vote Monday on a plan of operation for the Taco Bell Cantina, part of a city requirement for liquor-licensed businesses in the city.

But Royal Oak Police Lt. Michael Moore, who oversees and reports on liquor licenses in the city, recommends the city deny Taco Bell Cantina owner Louis Dortch approval to use the liquor license he bought.

“Due to the high number of (liquor) licensed businesses in the central business district, I believe it is prudent to be very selective in approving any plan of operation for a new license,” Moore said in his memo. “This is especially true regarding a license that is coming from outside the city.”

There are already 45 businesses with liquor licenses operating in the central business district.

Moore said Dortch paid $74,000 for his license. Dorch has been in business since 1982, but has never operated a business with a liquor license before.

Police expect that a national fast-food chain known for selling cheap food that markets itself as a late night or post-bar destination will appeal to a much younger crowd.

“It is our experience that businesses that appeal to younger crowds cause a much higher strain on police resources,” Moore said."

Now let's sit back and see who contributes what (how much) to who if liquor sales are denied.  Note that the "spirits" item sates sounds a lot like the liquor slushies that were turned down in the previous applicant where Pieology now lived.

https://www.romi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/20090

A trend?

BuckToothedBeaver

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 06:19:20 PM »

I'd like to see a Hooters open up on Main Street.  They closed the one on Big Beaver in Troy, so now I have no where to go on a Friday night...