The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Author Topic: Planning Commission  (Read 526 times)

RO retailer

Planning Commission
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »

Talk about a Dog and Pony Show!  I drank a glass of warm Vernors to Keep my stomach from curdling!  assignment:  you have to watch it!  Center Street received the royal screw and blow off.

resident

Re: Planning Commission
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »

Noticed how to get what you want.

Hire a certain Lawyer, and Architect. 

Mention Bikes , Hardie siding, Trees, and welcome Art to your build site.
I love Art.  My next project is to see how much the city really spends on Art. 

Look 5 years ahead.
You think downtown gets all the attention now ?
Just wait. Add the density, and higher priced tenants ( dare i say needy )
It will manifest.
I do not know why, but i actually liked the Campbell build proposal next to Good Shepherd. 

I like the mention of diverse architecture , irony is they still all look the same.

I need to replay the whole meeting.  I actually missed the first hour + 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:40:22 PM by resident »

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:51:04 PM »

I love the developer for E4, who thinks so much of himself.  RO is to be gifted with a white shipping crate atop garages.

And E3 is a perfect example of the Soulless School of design.  At least it does not face onto Washington.

The big ones (Billings and Buttons) were at least interesting.

Question?  If the alley is the problem behind former Billings, why can't it be made one way northbound?  That would seem to alleviate short sight line problems.

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »

By sliding the garages south into the former alley exit, the blind corner issue has been addressed. Turning the alley into northbound would be bad news as many more would use it to try and avoid the wait at Eastbound 11 Mile turning north onto Main.

RO retailer

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »

Sudo,  what will happen to the restaurant.  I think he will be squeezed out. 

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 04:26:20 PM »

I hope not, I like Kouzina's food.

RO retailer

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 12:58:11 PM »

Put on your realist's hat! 

Knowing what you do and after seeing last Tuesday's Planning Commission, what do you see downtown looking like in 4 years?  Will the city extend the boundaries? (it already has on Main, north of 11 Mile).  What other buildings, including nearby houses, will be removed?  Remember the new Master Plan is coming?  And if you won the lottery, would you invest in downtown Royal Oak or in another city?  And what would you build?  Offices?  Condos?  Apartments?  Eatery?  Retail?  Theater?  Or?

Or would you say screw it and buy an island in the Bahamas?

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »

Thirty years ago city bigwigs had stars in their eyes about cramming Washington and Main with condos, to go with the dream-of-glory 12-story development at I-696.  It's a little late, but it looks like apartments are starting to crowd out homes between the two streets.

Notable Tuesday was how thrilled commissioners were to accept developers' boasts that they were trying to offer something different-and-new, not boring old Royal Oak as it is now.

New is always better, y'know.

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:08:50 PM »

Retailer, I expect all 3 of the used car lots on N. Main to turn into residential projects, no retail included. Anything else is totally possible, all surrounding neighborhoods are at great risk.

Yes, I expect the new Master Plan will extend Downtown, completely contrary to previously stated mass objections and any upcoming objections.

Sharlan Douglas is a Downtown area neighborhood's worst nightmare. She is all about density, density, density and is a total devotee of New Urbanism. New Urbanism, coupled with "Form Planning" which eliminates seperate zoning classifications and allows business, multi-family and single-family to be all intermingled, is her very firm goal. It will not, of course, extend to her house on N. Washington. She doesn't actually listen to anyone but herself on this topic and won't care at all what residents want. She rules the Planning Commission, so it will approve anything she wants.

The neighborhoods surrounding Downtown that had been zoned multi-family since 1969 were turned back into single-family in the last Master Plan and accompanying Zoning Ordinance, with an overlay for the small amount of existing legal two-family, multi-family and a few small businesses on N. Washington. I did say legal, as there were a lot of illegal, unregistered two-family and multi-family split houses.

The area between S. Washington and S. Main south of Lincoln was not maintained as single-family during the last Master Plan. It actually was turned into the development area as literally no one from that area came out to support it at any time. Every block of it has been open for multi-family, office and commercial development for 18 years. No one ever did, except for parking lots. Meanwhile, a lot of money has been spent on residential rehabbing and new houses there.

In January 2017, the existing Master Plan was up for the required every 5 year State of Michigan statement of affirmation, alterations or that a new Master Plan would ensue. It was on the Planning Commission agenda at that time and then disappeared until September 2017. The reason for that delay is very simple: After seeing what happened to the Commission elections the last time destroying Downtown area neighborhoods was proposed, Sharlan didn't want any of her upcoming proposed changes on the record before her re-election. Any other explanation is disingenuous.

What would I build? Anything big gets an approval these days.

Stay tuned, the Master Plan process promises to be very noisy again. Recalls are a strong possiblity, several groups have already had meetings about that.