The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Author Topic: ROPD shooting  (Read 1412 times)

acidbath

ROPD shooting
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/04/11/royal-oak-police-fatal-shooting-white-castle/506142002/

The incident began at about 6 p.m. with a traffic stop on Woodward near 13 Mile. The driver stopped and then sped off, losing the officer in traffic.

Fifteen minutes later, the officer found the suspect, who was driving a BMW, in a White Castle drive-thru at 13 Mile and Coolidge.

The officer approached the suspect and fired his gun at him, striking him, Royal Oak Police Chief Corey O'Donohue said in a statement. The suspect then fled the drive-thru, crashing head-on into a minivan a quarter-mile away on 13 Mile.

"We saw the cop pull up to White Castle, and we saw him get out and draw his gun immediately. We heard four or five gunshots," WDIV reported one witness saying. "We could see him swerving and driving really slow, and he looked out of it. And then he just started coasting into oncoming traffic, and I assumed that he passed out."
The way to crush the [middle class] is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation. -- Vladimir Lenin

MalcoveMagnesia

Re: ROPD shooting
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »

so the way this paragraph above is written, sounds like the cop fired without provocation.

Which I really doubt.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bureaucrats, like mobs, don’t respond to reason.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »

I can't say I doubt anything about it at this point.  That seems to be the current story.  Initially there were speculative sounding reports that the guy tried to hit the cop with his car, but that report is no longer being used.

I would say wait for all the facts to come out, but how can we know that all the facts will come out?  We do know that the cop shot a guy that was operating a motor vehicle.  The guy that suffered the gun shot wound went on to injure a third party after he lost the ability to control his car because of the wound.  That story sounds pretty bad for the cop unless it is proven that he was in danger.  For sure there are some cameras in the area that should have caught something.

Sometimes I wish the government would just ban itself. Wrap your heads around that, fellas.

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:22:01 PM »

I suspect that the guy getting away the first time might have something to do with it.  My question is, how does one elude police in a tiny parking lot?  Unless he tried to run somebody down and the officer stopped to see the second person was OK? 

And who is stupid enough to return to the scene of his crime for a slider?

acidbath

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 05:41:53 PM »

And who is stupid enough to return to the scene of his crime for a slider?

Never underestimate the stupidity of criminals.

I just hope this doesn't turn into some ridiculous Black Lives Matter BS. Hopefully George Soros has cut off funding for them...
The way to crush the [middle class] is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation. -- Vladimir Lenin

Oakian

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:58:28 AM »

I've read on the interwebs the entire account of what happened, who is at fault for what crimes, all the way down to what the expected jury payout will be to parties involved.

All of this with only a few sentences from the ROPD and a few somewhat conflicting articles in the media. The deceased's home has been reported in two different cities; apparently even a basic fact like that is not yet accurately published. Yet keyboard warriors already have the whole thing figured out.

We live in an information age where if 100% of details including pictures and video aren't published within 45 minutes of an incident, there clearly is some kind of cover-up happening and social media moves to fill in the blanks.

I'll wait for a more complete report based on a real investigation, not someone's conjecture based on what they read on the fox2 facebook page.

I can agree with anyone who says a traffic violation doesn't warrant an execution. As long as they agree with me that normally in society the average joe doesn't have any reason to flee from police. And normally in society a cop has no reason to draw his weapon during a routine interaction with an average joe. So everyone should be able to agree that something out of the norm transpired and details on what/why will have to come in due time.

RO retailer

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »

Facebook writers are judge, jury, and hangman!

No one was standing next to the officer when he pulled the violator over.  No one has said what the officer saw in the car or the conversation.  Maybe the officer told the driver to pull off Woodward and he decided to run.  Yes, I did catch 2 different home cities.  West Bloomfield and Royal Oak.  Bunch of fake news. 

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »

Amen.  Let cool heads prevail and wait for the investigation to be completed.

But I will add, the confusion over the home town may stem from the fact that his license had been revoked and he would have had no call to change his address.  It does appear he and his fairly newlywed wife lived in Royal Oak just a couple of blocks from the end location.  Fact provided by the wife's uncle.  Her profile on FB shows that she resides in Royal Oak. 

As for what happened and how it happened - lets wait and see.  The why will never be known.  Regardless, it is a tragic situation and a young man lost his life

HelloWorld

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 03:52:24 PM »

It is very strange that the officer shot at a car stopped in a driveway.

Common sense says that someone fleeing the police doesn't stop in a drive thru. I am afraid that there isn't enough information to know what exactly happened, only that it is suspicious.

I was called a keyboard warrior when I accurately called the alleged Hijab-burning in Ann Arbor for what it ultimately was. Never be afraid to think for yourself. You have your own brain and common sense. The world is has a lot of nuances and is rarely just black and white. 

I would also like to share an experience I had with the ROPD:

I was walking alone, at night, from CVS. I had 2 grocery bags in hand. It must have been a new moon because it was almost pitch black where I was walking and there weren't many lights. All of a sudden a car turns aggressively towards me, turns on it's high-beams and drives up over the right-of-way and onto the sidewalk in front of me. I am almost completely blinded by the high-beam headlights and cannot see any details. I freeze.

In that moment I thought someone was about to rob me. Possibly at gun point. Isolated incidents have happened and this was in a neighborhood near 696 (easy getaway for criminals). Immediately I get an adrenaline rush, stop walking and go into fight or flight mode but I decide to stand my ground and prepare to run the other way (Backwards). I was not carrying but I might have reached for it if I was at that time. Keep in mind I am still pretty much blind from the car shining their high beams at my face.

I am hugely relieved to see a police offer step outside of the car. I close my eyes and look away. The officer was actually very nice and professional. Talking to him I can see that it was a black car with Royal Oak Police on the side. It turns out that there was a crime nearby and he wanted to see if I was the suspect. He said that because they haven't "received calls about suspicious activity" it was probably "someone white... who looks like they belong here." Not going to dissect those comments.

I know why he didn't turn his police lights on but what would have happened if I ran? I was really freaked out.

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 12:14:27 PM »

RO retailer

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »

Very interesting reading.  What caught my attention were the eye witness reports.  The reports taken at the scene the judge seem to consider more creditable than the ones submitted a day or two later.  And the day of reports were closer the film from the cameras.  One of the reporters, either in the paper or news show said the first stop was on northbound Woodward, but the report says the first stop was on 13 Mile, near Benjamin and the BMW was exiting a driveway.  Lots of apartments and drives along 13 Mile between Crooks and Coolidge. The entrance to the RO Golf Course is there too, but by the photo I am guessing that playing golf was not on his radar.