The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Author Topic: Let's throw party!  (Read 1299 times)

BuzzBuzz

Let's throw party!
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »

We have new standard for unbelief in our city government.

When they are going to do something that will screw us, really screw us, they throw a party.

https://www.romi.gov/documentcenter/view/20572

I guess we are supposed to just fall down in admiration of their project. 

I heard that Don J or Tim T are having a party for just department heads, and if you noticed, the city re-striped the police parking lot, which is supposed to be dedicated to public use as soon as the Williams St. lots are sold off and closed (all 47 spaces, replacing 225), supposedly as metered spaces.  Police cars and inspector vehicles will then be assigned to the Farmers Market lots, and on weekends will sit, un-moving, depriving the public of 47 spaces.

We pay these thoughtful people to run a city for us?

Imissmyhometown

Re: Let's throw party!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 09:34:16 PM »

Can I bring a tombstone with

Toyology
Farmers Market
Andiamos
Nutri-Foods
every other business on the east side of Main b/w 11 Mile & Fourth
Too often noble goals serve as a Trojan Horse for political control.

Astraia

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 09:30:40 PM »

What's your point Buzz?

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 04:05:07 PM »

The city has no sense of what residents want and no sense of how to present it.

They (the administration and mayor) wants a nice shiny new civic center, totally ignoring what residents desire or need.  They present it (in"town halls") to the public under tightly controlled circumstances and with as little public discussion as possible, and now throw a party to celebrate their bulldozing the project through.  Given how our lives will be disturbed for 18 months--and thereafter--I wouldn't be thrilled.  Perhaps you are.  This is almost government by fiat.

We should celebrate that?

If you have your own comment, take this survey.  Comment boxes are 17, 18, 19 and 23.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F39JBZM

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:08:39 PM by BuzzBuzz »

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 02:05:45 PM »

Mother Nature certainly rained on their parade Friday.

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »

Please tell me Boji paid $3,000 (estimated) for the fancy groundbreaking tent and not the PR firm hired by the city to tell us how great the project is.

RO retailer

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »

Why would one do a ground breaking by invite only?  This to me just adds to an attitude of contempt for the city taxpayers.

The Capitalist

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »

Just playing devil's advocate, this was a groundbreaking for the private office building, yes? The taxpayers aren't going to own a brick in this building so Boji can invite whoever they want.

Yes, I am aware that the taxpayers may get jammed because of the parking lot sale at below market value and the $5.5M funding guarantee, doesn't change the private ownership of the bldg.

RORooster

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »

Just playing devil's advocate, this was a groundbreaking for the private office building, yes? The taxpayers aren't going to own a brick in this building so Boji can invite whoever they want.

Yes, I am aware that the taxpayers may get jammed because of the parking lot sale at below market value and the $5.5M funding guarantee, doesn't change the private ownership of the bldg.

OK Cap,  you got the role!

Rooster

RO retailer

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 11:34:19 PM »

It may be a private building but I as a 47 years taxpayer still have a financial interest in the property. I know I am being picky but I don't care.  the taxpayers were not given the opportunity to vote on it.  And the 5.5 M just sticks in my craw too.  It was taken from the general fund and I get it will be paid back MAYBE. But there are no guarantee.  What if the developer goes bankrupt?  All I have heard is lawyer double talk.  one thing for sure, I will never encourage my granddaughter to invest here. It's her generation that will foot the bill.

ROpro

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »

It may be a private building but I as a 47 years taxpayer still have a financial interest in the property. I know I am being picky but I don't care.  the taxpayers were not given the opportunity to vote on it.  And the 5.5 M just sticks in my craw too.  It was taken from the general fund and I get it will be paid back MAYBE. But there are no guarantee.  What if the developer goes bankrupt?  All I have heard is lawyer double talk.  one thing for sure, I will never encourage my granddaughter to invest here. It's her generation that will foot the bill.

Most of you here are VERY shortsighted.
You can't dispute this entire project has and is bringing more development to the city. Its called an investment...
Why do you contribute money to stocks or a 401k? you dont get anything and may even lose a little in the short term. you do it in hopes of getting a bigger return on your money in the longterm

buzzsaw

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »

why are they tearing up Main street ?!

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »

Because pavement there is starting to fail after many years and the city obtained a $700K+ grant from the feds to repave and to add pedestrian islands in the middle of the road at University and Pingree. Without the grant, the city (us) would have funded all of it in a few years.

RORooster

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »

Most of you here are VERY shortsighted.
You can't dispute this entire project has and is bringing more development to the city. Its called an investment...
Why do you contribute money to stocks or a 401k? you don't get anything and may even lose a little in the short term. you do it in hopes of getting a bigger return on your money in the longterm

Pro,
If your talking about "your money and your risk" you're  correct. However, if  you are referring to, or about,  a legacy system where 100% of the risk is is on the shoulders of the taxpayer for at least the next 30 years with a 100% risk factor I fail to see your point. The city, by circumventing the peoples vote and blessing, has invested this bond money into the money market in the "Hopes" that this investment completely backed by "The full faith and credit of the city" meaning that if this investment goes south the loss is the responsibility of the city (Taxpayers). Its always a great game when your playing with other peoples money. Look ant the present pension system...Hows that working out in the short, medium, or long term? Has anyone figured out recently how much "Skin" DJ has in the game.

Rooster

The Capitalist

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 07:50:42 PM »

When I make an investment I get to choose where my money goes based on risk and potential return. This investment is being made with public (my) money and very deliberately not allowing the public to vote on it.

So now we are all stuck hoping it pays off. Go ask any financial advisor if "hope" is a good strategy for making investment choices.