The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Smartphone / iPad users: access the forum with Tapatalk, free!    Info here

Author Topic: Let's throw party!  (Read 911 times)

RORooster

Re: Let's throw party!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 11:05:07 PM »

When I make an investment I get to choose where my money goes based on risk and potential return. This investment is being made with public (my) money and very deliberately not allowing the public to vote on it.

So now we are all stuck hoping it pays off. Go ask any financial advisor if "hope" is a good strategy for making investment choices.

Cap,
You got it>

R

RO retailer

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43:58 PM »

We (husband and I) have "invested" our money in the city as taxpayers.  I expect the city to use our investment to maintain a safe and secure and clean and fun city.  I do not want a single cent going to a bunch of investors (who don't live here) without my permission (vote).  When I started my business downtown very close to 95% of the property and  buildings were owned by people that either lived in Royal Oak or a family member did.  Royal Oak was a "hometown".   

I want my money invested in the parks!  They aren't even getting cut.

HelloWorld

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »

I actually LIKE the project, especially the park. Just look at the success of Campus Martius. We also need office space in downtown. The problem is that this is a huge project and you can like parts of it but disagree with other aspects of the project.

Here is what I would have done differently:
1. Sell land at market rate.
2. Given that city hall needs to be gutted and renovated, I would have still torn it down and moved it outside of Downtown to a more central location with free parking. Ideally in an existing structure.
3. Place parking closer to Farmers Market and invest some of the funds into improving and expanding the Farmers Market.

The Capitalist

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »

Agree on #1 and #2. And I think the argument could be made that the police station doesn't need to be placed right next to the courthouse - it could be moved out of downtown also. How often do prisoners have to be transported to/from the court and is it really a problem to do it by car like they do now? Keep in mind any serious cases get bumped to the circuit court pretty quick.

City hall and police station are the bigger 'convenience' parking killers than the office building + parking structure.

Not sure if the farmer's market needs expansion. Would that only benefit the vodkafest promoters? Are there farmers we are missing out on? I go during peak season and there is every farm product I could think of. I go during off-season and there is available space.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bureaucrats, like mobs, don’t respond to reason.
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 10:15:42 AM »

City hall is the biggest waste of space downtown.

Sometimes I wish the government would just ban itself. Wrap your heads around that, fellas.

RO retailer

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »

Spot on, Rusty!  When Longfellow School was closed I thought that building would be perfect for a relocated city hall.  On 11 Mile, 2 blocks off Woodward.

Why do we need another park?  We already have 50+ parks in the city and 2 nature areas.  Several of the parks (the smaller ones) are constantly ignored and the play equipment in most are either old and rusty, broken, or dangerous.  The taxpayers were told that when we sold a portion of Normandy Oaks, the money would be used to convert the golf course to a park and the excess monies would be used to improve other parks in the city.  Then the city hires some big time park planner and now we have a plan but not enough monies to do it.  And 2 groups of people that are throwing tantrums because they want pro soccer fields or amusement parks for the kiddos. 

And the Parks department doesn't have enough employees to keep the grass cut!  But the city can hire some PR company to tell the residents where to park downtown.  Royal Joke!

resident

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »

After spending a considerable amount of time the past week in Troy, Livonia, Farmington, Clawson, and Beverly Hills, our parks are nothing short of a joke.  Not a slam on Parks and Rec staff, but farther upstream.

This city brags far too much about it's parks count for the quality level and care level they receive.
Of course they will add another one, and spend gross amounts of money on it compared to all others for,,,,,,,,, DOWNTOWN!

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »

Not to mention that no matter how ill-served smaller parks were, Memorial Park always was nice.  Not they will have to decide between Normany Oaks and Whatever they call downtown.

Which mayor will it be named for?

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 09:13:14 PM »

Taxpayer's Park? Debt Service Park?  >:D Naming it after any officeholder, Mayor or Commissioner, would be wholly inappropriate.

Downtown Park, Community Park, Park 1921, The Commons...

And they should plant 1 oak tree somewhere in the park. This is Royal Oak.

buzzsaw

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »

What a mess on Main !!!!   There should be no Left turn for those going North on Main past 11 Mile - like into Kouzina or Billings - or anything North of 11 Mile - I was backed up for 30 minutes !!

RO retailer

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 12:09:59 AM »

I am spending my time north and east of 13 Mile. I feel sorry for taxpayers south of 12 Mile.  See you in 2/3 years.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bureaucrats, like mobs, don’t respond to reason.
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »

Avoidance is the only solution.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:21:35 AM by Rusty Shackleford »

Sometimes I wish the government would just ban itself. Wrap your heads around that, fellas.

Gladys Kravitz

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »

Avoidance is the only solution.

Royal Oak, Birmingham and Clawson all have major road construction underway in the hearts of their downtowns.  Berkley and Ferndale businesses should be taking advantage and promote how welcoming they are for the next few weeks. 

resident

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »

I like Debt Service Park.
Taxpayers Park would be almost a slap in the face, as they are rare to acknowledge them or respect them .
The magnitude of projects in or about to be in progress all at the same time, wow.

I like the fact we are giving away millions , yet about to be asked for more money the same year of the give away.
Pretty gutsy.
Not sure we have an city income problem as much as we have an out-go problem.

I will not approve/vote for any millage from here onward without an end out provision on each, that if the project ends or is closed, it ceases to exist on the rolls.  Say transit( or other ) fails after 2.5 years into a 5 year, no collecting to general fund or what ever.
Yes, even refunds or credits should be in play. If you take, and not use for what intended, then give it back.

Back to the thread, i have deep empathy for those who live close. 
Summer finally arrives, and the reward is clog and noise.
The road repairs were needed in a few of the areas, but not in the Royal Oak Main area, yet.
The approach to road repairs around here is puzzling.
Fix the better ones first ? I liken it to being told your brakes are worn out on your car, and you get it detailed instead of fixing the brakes.
At least you get to witness all the money and focus of our city.
I have to go get the new mutt her license. Wish me luck.

buzzsaw

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 10:22:08 AM »

Coming from Southfield to get home to Clawson 14 and Main.   I have no easy way.   It is a nightmare.    I started taking Woodward exit to Washington and go through the subs in the RO then pop back out to Main when I don't see the orange barrels on my right.   Then smack - I run right in Clawson intersection at my home.