The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Author Topic: New Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance meeting  (Read 416 times)

Sudo Nimh

New Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance meeting
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:43:48 PM »

The Planning Commission has requested that the City Commission meet with them at the Planning Commission's next meeting on June 12 to discuss a new Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance.

I strongly suggest that anyone living anywhere near Downtown, Main St., Rochester Rd., Campbell Rd. and Woodward Ave. needs to attend and keep attending.

Commissioner Douglas is a huge proponent of New Urbanism and Form Planning. New Urbanism strongly focuses on increased density/height. Form Planning eliminates zones like Single Family and allows mixing in multi-family and commercial if it sort of looks similar.

I believe that expanding the footprint and height of downtown and the corridors will be the focus as a result. If that is indeed the aim, it would reverse everything the residents asked for last time.

There is a reason the legally required response to the State about our Master Plan and Zoning was delayed from January 2017 until September 2017 - everyone would be safely elected before residents see what the aim is.

RORooster

Re: New Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance meeting
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:21:53 PM »

Sudo,

At least the citizens of R.O. will have 3 minutes to talk. Anybody want to bet on how Douglas was elated to see this happen?

What really bothers me is that Comm. Douglas is purported to be a "Big time Consultant". I really have not seen her "Big Big Time Credentials" or am I missing something?

Sudo, you and I both can spot when people run for public to bring their agendas to life. I feel this commissioner has been working on this for a long time!

Rooster

Rusty Shackleford

• Bureaucrats, like mobs, don’t respond to reason.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »

Thank you Sudo for keeping us mindful of this issue.

Sometimes I wish the government would just ban itself. Wrap your heads around that, fellas.

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:22:40 AM »

Thank you Sudo. Hopefully this is a presentation of the various RFP's and not a predetermined selection of one particular (Carlisle/Wortman) proposal or anyone else on this list.

http://www.douglasgroup.biz/our_clients
Too often noble goals serve as a Trojan Horse for political control.

Sudo Nimh

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »

Rooster, Sharlan's primary expertise is marketing. She is a past president of the Michigan Association of Planning and executive director of the 8 Mile Boulevard Association.

I believe you are correct that this has been a long term aim for her. I also believe that she thoroughly disagrees with the very popular and successful results of the existing Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance.

RORooster

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »

Rooster, Sharlan's primary expertise is marketing. She is a past president of the Michigan Association of Planning and executive director of the 8 Mile Boulevard Association.

I believe you are correct that this has been a long term aim for her. I also believe that she thoroughly disagrees with the very popular and successful results of the existing Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance.

I,also, have been in marketing and sales for more that I want to admit. However I have an established record I would share with anybody. This record contains years of record sales and marketing development plans that can be well documented. What has she marketed? For who? Profit or not for profit? For starters, what major plans for the 8 Mile Blvd. did she drive what were the goals and specific milestones did she propel this organization and her documented successes.  Maybe a few examples of the MAP successes.

You know where I'm going!

Rooster

RO retailer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:58:18 PM »

FYI  When Douglas was the Big Cheese on the 8 Mile Assoc. it was a disaster.  Got the story from Jean Chamberlain. 

RORooster

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »

FYI  When Douglas was the Big Cheese on the 8 Mile Assoc. it was a disaster.  Got the story from Jean Chamberlain.

Thanks Retailer, you know that I'm not surprised in the least. It's called take a class, take a test, get certification. I have found, in my years in government, I have found it amazing how professional elected people with specific expertise, bring that to a public body and and the ideas and intellect make the body and the people gain and grow so much. If you look at the cities most I important documents The Master Plan, The Strategic Plan and the budget you can see Royal Oak is only running on three cylinders.

Rooster

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:04:45 PM »

Various boards are always posting documents from other cities.  Why not assemble a URL list of Master Plans for surrounding cities and include that in the inevitable web page the city will "create" to keep us "informed" of "progress" in the new Master Plan?

For all ones like the civic center page, with is nothing more than bad PR for the slanted views of the administrtion.

RORooster

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »

Various boards are always posting documents from other cities.  Why not assemble a URL list of Master Plans for surrounding cities and include that in the inevitable web page the city will "create" to keep us "informed" of "progress" in the new Master Plan?

For all ones like the civic center page, with is nothing more than bad PR for the slanted views of the administrtion.

Remember Buzz, we only want to be like Birmingham..,.Right DJ!

R