The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Author Topic: They had to do this all at once ?!?1  (Read 1477 times)

Imissmyhometown

Re: They had to do this all at once ?!?1
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »

NOW what are they doing from Gardenia to Normandy on Main - curb lanes closed on both sides.

Adding bike lanes and traffic calming.  Road will change to one lane in each direction with a center turn lane, all sandwiched between bike lanes.  It may calm traffic, but likely not the drivers.

Same configuration on Campbell.

North/South rush hour travelers even after this is all done will be pulling their hair out. If RoGo passes, portions of Washington, Campbell, Crooks, and  Main will also have buses holding up traffic.
Too often noble goals serve as a Trojan Horse for political control.

RO retailer

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »

I got my Crystal Ball out last night and asked to see downtown Royal Oak 2 years from now when these NEW office buildings have all these wonderful employees.  And at rush hour!  All I see is tall buildings and parking structures and the houses in a 3 mile perimeter either gone, for sale, or shacks!  AND a statue of the Mayor in the weed infested Central Park. 

We have made a base plan for the future! 

acidbath

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »

Traffic Calming, from Wikipedia definition:

Engineering measures involve physically altering the road layout or appearance to actively or passively retard traffic by increasing the cognitive load of driving, in other words, making driving more difficult.

Wow. The central planners are completely open about using tax dollars to piss off the taxpayers. More automotive congestion and bike lanes in a climate that is UNBIKEABLE 5 months a year. One more reason to NOT visit downtown RO.
The way to crush the [middle class] is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation. -- Vladimir Lenin

buzzsaw

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »

It is just the matter of fact that all of this is happening at once.   Those of us that need to use the area to get to our nestled homes have a nightmare on our hands.

RO retailer

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »

This upcoming winter and snow season should be very interesting.  On Main after a sizeable storm will the removal team clear the 2 lanes for cars and pile the snow into the bike path?  Or will all 4 lanes be cleared?

I will avoid Main as much as possible in the foreseeable future.  I have developed residential streets routes.

And Campbell too!

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »

Traffic Calming, from Wikipedia definition:

Engineering measures involve physically altering the road layout or appearance to actively or passively retard traffic by increasing the cognitive load of driving, in other words, making driving more difficult.

Wow. The central planners are completely open about using tax dollars to piss off the taxpayers. More automotive congestion and bike lanes in a climate that is UNBIKEABLE 5 months a year. One more reason to NOT visit downtown RO.

Walkability, bike lanes, traffic calming, fewer lanes dedicated to traffic, destruction of convenient surface parking, mass transit (RoGo), sidewalks forced on residents, increased parking rates, high density, comments by Fournier that the widening of I-75 may not even be needed in 20 years, and Sharlan Douglas stating we may not need the new parking structures in the future...anyone else see a pattern? Hang on to your car keys and steering wheels - they want you to give them up or at least drive them as little as possible. Democratic platform initiative.
Too often noble goals serve as a Trojan Horse for political control.

mikeslife

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »

It's great that we have 2 Mensa members predicting our future. Kind of like the people who predicted the Q Line and the People Mover we're going to be great for Detroit.

buzzsaw

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2018, 06:03:40 AM »

I hope the outcome is great ...

buzzsaw

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »

Again ... they had to do this all at once ?!?!    The whole Main 11 mile to Normandy with the pylons with nothing happening !