The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Author Topic: Bus Business  (Read 649 times)

BuzzBuzz

Bus Business
« on: June 18, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »

I know that the city bus service is controversial, but it looks like it's here:

http://www.dailytribune.com/general-news/20180618/task-force-to-recommend-city-bus-system-millage-to-royal-oak-officials

Millage?  Route?  Hours?

Buses are one of those "don't want it until I need it" items in life, as well as "help your neighbors".  I'd like to add "think a little harder."

For instance the "to the borders only" mentality would exclude the bigger (better? certainly larger stock) Hollywood store on on 12 Mile, even though the bus will be stopping at close-by Krogers simply because it isn't in Madison Heights.

I'm sure each of you could come up with an extra stop.

The Capitalist

Re: Bus Business
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:33:10 PM »

I just don't see this one getting traction. Very, very few people seem to say anything encouraging about it.

Even those stepford wife facebook admins who seem to think the city can absolutely do no wrong ("DPS truck just crashed in my front yard and dropped 3 tons of feces from the animal shelter. Oh goodness I am just delighted by the fertilizer opportunity this has presented!") haven't been pounding the drum for overpriced bus service.

HelloWorld

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:29:43 PM »

Welcome to the 20th century! The future is Uber, Uber Health, Shipt, Amazon Etc

Imissmyhometown

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »

I wish this wasn't on the same ballot as the marijuana proposal. Just like school ballots bring out those who would not normally vote in a non-presidential election, the marijuana proposal and those in favor of "free" transportation may go hand in hand.
Too often noble goals serve as a Trojan Horse for political control.

RO retailer

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:34:42 PM »

Answers:

1. controversial?  oh, please.  Just stupid.  Same bus route as the current Smart route with one or 2 more stops.  One LARGE bus followed by one short bus.  The brain trust missed the bus!

2. I have heard all the Stepford reasons why!  Lala land.  I would bag the poop and sell it.  A Scotsman never passes up an opportunity.

3.  Yes, Imiss, another planned out election!  By the way does anyone know how Whitmer, Shri, or the other guy feel about the this issue.  Haven't heard anything about their opinion on The Weeeeed.. (spoken in a deep voice).

ROpro

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »

ide prefer not to subsidize riders @ 20$ a pop for a very under utilized service.

The Capitalist

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »

Refreshing to see that even some people who think the city can do no wrong realize that another bus system is not the best use of resources.

resident

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 08:11:28 AM »

Not opposed to transit whatsoever, i am opposed to this proposal to transit.

Too inefficient , especially for the cost. To say nothing of the route(s).

The fact the the millage does not end if the service does ?  No. Period. 
Even if they were to bring forth a proposal that merits consideration, i would be hard pressed to support it unless that collection/service
funds portion is addressed .
Money collected for a service not rendered is normally considered a form of theft.   

Just wait for the backlash when the added pads and kiosks are installed ( should it pass )
Something more that will not be maintained on a regular basis so the homeowner gets the added pleasure of
picking up trash, having folks knock on the door having to use a restroom etc.
Not a big deal, unless it where to be a single or senior household. 

All i want to know when this is all said and done.  How much money did we spend on the creation and marketing of  RoGo ?
On a somewhat related note, anybody see anything from the Senior Task Force yet ?
By the time they get going, i may be a senior citizen.   

RO retailer

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:14:36 AM »

You do know that all this baloney over the system is to create a job for one person? 

Rusty Shackleford

• Bureaucrats, like mobs, don’t respond to reason.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »

You do know that all this baloney over the system is to create a job for one person? 

I thought it was to pad their ego after failing to advance regional transit whilst in Lansing and the job is a happy coincidence.

Sometimes I wish the government would just ban itself. Wrap your heads around that, fellas.

RO retailer

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 12:04:26 AM »

according to the proposed budget this new job pays $117,000.00. 

resident

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »

Well. the clique club does a good job of looking out for themselves. 

Anybody want to guess what the drivers will earn ?   :)

My Father, a lifelong Democrat, after watching several of our local meetings.

" I don't know what you have there,, those are not Democrats, those are not even good Republicans " 

If it was a position not slated ( handed to ) one of the chosen internal city clique., the pay would be a lot lower.
Get a job in private sector, prove to me you are worth that level of pay. 

RO retailer

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »

We all know there extra perks above and beyond the pittance the city hands out.  And I have a "feeling" this charter committee is working on making changes.