The Royal Oak Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Author Topic: Can we impeach a commissioner?  (Read 332 times)

BuzzBuzz

Can we impeach a commissioner?
« on: October 10, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »

Comm. Douglas seems to think we are all superman, and clairvoyant to boot.  Just when the group was realizing that they didn't know what they ere talking about for snow removal, and sending the topic back to the administration for better clarity (fat chance with that!) with a reminder that they favored 72 hours from when the city declared a snow emergency for homeowners to clean their walks, she requested that the grace period be reduced to 24 hours, no matter what conditions were.  Regardless of when it would start snowing again as it usually does.  If we get 4 quick inches, in 24 hours we have to get out there, even if there will be 3 inches more the next day.

My neighbor leaves for work at 5AM and has no idea when a snow emergency will be declared before when he gets home, with his other cars still on the street, resulting in an expensive ticket.

The Capitalist

Re: Can we impeach a commissioner?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »

Sounds like your neighbor just needs to look at weather forecasts. I leave for work at 5am. If a big snow is predicted or in process, I make sure I don't have any cars in the street. I've never gotten a snow emergency ticket. It's not hard, at all.

mikeslife

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:53:58 PM »

I have the same schedule and never have a problem with ticketing. There are people in this world that feel they are entitled and should never have to deal with inconvenient freeway exits or heavy traffic around 5 pm.

resident

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »

Yep,  I guess i look at this differently.Not long ago, clearing snow from sidewalks and driveways was considered one of the joys of home ownership.  Heck, even as a renter i shoveled.
I live in area where plenty of able bodied people NEVER shovel and it drives me nuts.
That said, do we really want THIS city with yet another code to arbitrarily enforce as it sees fit ?
If they do it, it will start  as one thing, it will then turn into another money grab.
Rain tax, A fine for snow , 
What is next ? a levy on breathing ? A millage on thought ?
I went to an event last night and the parking meter expense was almost more than my bar tab.

We are in the era of hire landscapers.  No kids shovel for money anymore.
I bet we get the ordinance this time.  If we have a busy winter, Katie bar the door at city hall! Unhappy campers will arrive in mass.
I am still amazed how many folks are clueless when a snow emergency is declared.   
Let's see. You have a window, a TV, or at min a radio.  A phone with a gazillion apps.   How can it be a surprise ?
Snowbirds and elderly are going to feel the brunt of it.
Maybe i will go buy a tractor with a brush, and take care of the hood.   

Rusty Shackleford

• Bureaucrats, like mobs, don’t respond to reason.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »

Good Lord!  Can't this city figure out the most basic items on the agenda.  They are creating a high-rise district and yet they can't figure out this simple issue that nearly all our neighbors have already tackled.
 :o

Sometimes I wish the government would just ban itself. Wrap your heads around that, fellas.

Mark

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »

I've all but given up on this city being able to figure out the sidewalk snow issue. The proposal I saw in the news said something about 72 hours after the snow is done, then a mailing, then another 3 days. Are you kidding me? How about we just give people until spring to clear their walks?

The private sector and many cities other than Royal Oak are able to clear snow within 36 hours after a snow event. Your snow removal company take longer than that? Get a new snow removal company.

I say give people until the snow emergency has been lifted and that is more than a generous amount of time. It takes our under-equipped DPS 2-3 days to finish plowing, proportional to the amount of snow. And let's face it, the owners that are going to be impacted by this are the landlords and other absentee owners who are not going to care how much or how little time you give them, they're not going to start doing snow removal until it hits them in the wallet.

RO retailer

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »

That's it!  I'm done!

Solve your own problems!  Don't or can't cut grass?  There are lawn care companies all over.  HIRE ONE!  Can't or won't shovel snow?  Hire a snow remover company?  Those too are a dime a dozen.  Too lazy to maintain rental property?  Sell it.  There are builders that are a dime a dozen too!  Put in your lease that the renter MUST cut the grass and shovel the snow.  Welcome to the real world people!

Mark

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 05:55:07 PM »

And....I just read the commission has given up on the sidewalk snow ordinance. It's 'too hard'.

Congrats BuzzBuzz and landlords. You banked on the commission dropping the ball again, and again you were right.

BuzzBuzz

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »

Good Lord!  Can't this city figure out the most basic items on the agenda.  They are creating a high-rise district and yet they can't figure out this simple issue that nearly all our neighbors have already tackled.

Er, remind me; when was it that the city "figured out" the high-rise district?  As far as I can tell they are still trying to sort out all their errors and omissions.

RO retailer

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 05:05:48 PM »

I think their control is s-l-i-p-p-i-n-g!  Cluster bomb!

Rusty Shackleford

• Bureaucrats, like mobs, don’t respond to reason.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »

Er, remind me; when was it that the city "figured out" the high-rise district?  As far as I can tell they are still trying to sort out all their errors and omissions.

I didn't say they had it "figured out," but rather that they are doing it.  Then they feign an insurmountable issue while exempting themselves.

Sometimes I wish the government would just ban itself. Wrap your heads around that, fellas.